For Development Cooperation – Humanitarian Aid/Assistance
- Sustainable Development & Natural Resource Management - Strategies & Activities to Climate Protection - Strategies & Activities to Climate Change Adaptation - Project Management in Development Cooperation (DC) and Humanitarian Assistance (HA) - Quality Management, Monitoring & Evaluation - Concept Notes & Budget of Projects for EU, BMZ, AA - Methods, Tools of Communication & Presentation - Internship in Companies and Institutions (12 weeks)
January – July
May – November
September – March
Duration: 7 months incl. 3 months internship
Program starts usually three times a year.
Planned number of participants: 24
Seminar hours: 720
The programs consist of attendance modules and online seminars.
Language of instruction is English, but some parts will be conducted in German!
We invite graduates from Universities of applied sciences and universities in the fields of social sciences, economics, natural science, humanities, engineering, law, geography or with comparable degrees to apply to our program. Furthermore people with work experience in Development Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid/Assistance or the non-profit sector in general who are interested in learning tools of project management are welcome to apply.
Also suitable for refugees and migrants with a university degree. Language skills: German B1, English B1 (aim to reach B2/C1)
Organizations and institutions of international cooperation, development cooperation and humanitarian aid / assistance looking for people who are not only competent in the respective project focus (e.g., forestry, agriculture, gender, law, etc.), but at the same time also have in-depth knowledge of project management and are explicitly familiar with Sustainable Development & Climate Protection. The required methods of project management, accounting, billing, proposal writing and fundraising will be covered in this training course.
The focus of the program is the preparation of the participants for complex work in global institutions for development cooperation and humanitarian assistance, companies and international operating NGOs. Especially in projects for Climate Protection & Climate Change Adaptation.
Goals of the training:
In theoretical and practical lessons the participants will learn how to use concepts and methods of project planning, financial management and implementing projects. These concepts concern especially projects in the scope of development cooperation (DC) and humanitarian assistance (HA). Graduates have a profound knowledge of Strategies & activity tools and are qualified to manage projects according to the framework requirements by donors of development cooperation and humanitarian aid. Graduates are experts of projects in International Climate Protection & Adaptation.
The duration of the training is 7 months in total.
Parts of the program will be conducted in collaboration with lecturers from the University of Kassel and the DITSL (German Institute for Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture). Lecturers include professionals from internationally operating institutions and companies. These lecturers also provide a direct contact to the future working environment.
Parts of the program will be held in conjunction with the participants of the training course “International Project Management” (IPM).
A successful access to the job market will be assisted by intensive application trainings and assessment center training and furthermore by an internship in selected institutions and companies.
1. Sustainable Development & Natural Resource Management
- Models of Sustainable Development
- Global Trent’s affecting Natural Resource Management
- Ecosystems & Biodiversity - Resource Management Climate-relevant ecosystem services
- Integrated Water Resource Management – Watershed Management
- Large-scale agricultural investment / land grabbing “Green economy” concept, practical examples
2. Strategies & Activities to Climate Protection
- Introduction to Climate Change and Acteurs of Climate Change
- Programs & Donor Relationship – Financial instruments, Strategic and Operative Planning
- Economic evaluation of ecosystem services and trade-off analysis
- Principles of the TEEB approach and climate - ecosystem interrelations
- Analysis of climate - relevant ecosystem services (DPSIR)
- Carbon Market - REDD+ - Economic Incentive Measures PES
- Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) & Joint Implementation (JI)
- Organizational Capacity Assessment Tools (OCA)
- Tools for assessing climate change vulnerability and climate change adaptation options (CARE, CVCA, GIZ)
- Workshop for Climate Protection
3. Strategies & Activities to Climate Change Adaptation
- National/Provincial climate change mitigation/adaptation policies and plans
- Programs to Adaptation, Funding Sources & Public Trusts
- Community Based Risk Screening Tools
- Ecosystem-based strategies to climate change adaptation (EbA)
- Climate change mitigation/adaptation measures for Asia / Latin America / Africa
- The impact of climate change on small farmers
- Introduction to “Climate proofing” and “Adaptation to Climate Change” tools of GIZ
- Planning of a climate change adaptation project for a given case study
4. Project Management in Development Cooperation (DC) and Humanitarian Assistance (HA)
- History, Objectives and Stakeholder of DC and HA Project planning (LogFrame RBM, Strategic planning, M & E)
- Management Instruments of DC
- Proposal Writing (BMZ, AA, ECHO, EuropeAid)
- Budgeting, Implementation, Documentation, Accounting
- Procurement Procedures: Tender Offers, Customs, Regulations
- Logistics, Supply Chain Management Accountability/ Transparency/ Corruption
- Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
- Reporting - BMZ, AA, ECHO, EuropeAid
- Practical Exercise/ Workshop: Management in DC
5. Quality Management, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
- Standards - Quality Management (ISO 9001)
- Methods and Tools for Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) for projects
- Input on planning/implementation of M&E in the field of CC-mitigation/adaptation
- Most Significant Change Method
6. Concept Notes & Budget of Projects for EU, BMZ, Auswärtiges Amt (AA)
- Project Proposals for “Klimaschutzinitiative in Deutschland”
- Project Proposal Writing (BMZ, AA (Ministry Of Foreign Affairs), ECHO, EuropeAid)
- Project Proposals and Documentation for EU ECHO
7. Methods, Tools of Communication & Presentation (in German)
- Group Work – Team Management
- Presentation: Theory and Practice - Group Moderation
- Assessment Center Training
8. Internship Institution / Organization / Company (3 Months)
Obligatory internship here in Germany or abroad. Also possible in non-EU countries in Europe, North America, Asia and Africa.
9. Final Assessment Week in Witzenhausen
Written Exam and final assessment in front of examination board
We reserve the right to change parts of this program due to the curricular evolution of the program and also due to changes concerning our lecturers.
Phases of the training:
A: Seminars / Workshops / Group Work / Field Trips (17 weeks)
B: Internship in an institution or a company (12 weeks)
C: Final Workshop / Examination (1 week)
Test various modules during the training phases. Final presentation in front of the examination board
5.254,56 € - Payment in installments: 7 installments of 750,65 € each.
Measure Number: 435/276/2018
Sponsorship throuth Education Voucher:
The program can be supported by the German employment agency Agentur für Arbeit and the Job Center (ALG I or ALG II through the education voucher Bildungsgutschein).
Applications for the Training Programm:
Please send a short letter of motivation (Email preferred) and your CV with photo to Mr. Werner Gebing at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
No Application Deadline!
If you are interested in our upcomming training program, please contact us by phone or email.
Phone: 05542 5029170
You are welcome to visit us in Witzenhausen for an individual consultation.
Feel free to call us for any questions.
- Bildungsgutschein (nach AZAV) i